Thursday, July 2, 2015

Night One: Success

I have to say, I'm pretty proud of us.  



Yesterday we left the house at 8.45 in the morning.  We stopped three times (once for lunch, once to stretch our legs, and once because of a torrential downpour that left everyone crawling along the highway with our hazards on) and arrived at the campground at 3.45.  There were no major meltdowns on any of our parts; actually the kids were quite amazing, and the driving really wasn't too bad.

Mr. Fluff Fluff getting a view of the scenery

We got the camper set up with only a little help (I couldn't get the ball hitch unstuck and I couldn't remember all the details about the water and electric hook-up) and then I made some dinner and the kids and I went and got some ice cream.  

You can hardly tell that it had just finished pouring rain and was freezing cold



We returned to the campsite, played a few rousing games of Uno, read some Ramona Quimby, Age 8, and all went to bed.

DOS!
Given that I was expecting the kids to be disasters sleeping, I was glad that actually I was the one who had a hard time.  I awoke at about 2 and, between being cold and just a little discombobulated, I would say the best way to describe what I did until about 4.15 is "doze."  Both kids were up at some point in there too, but did an A+ job going back to sleep.  I had just about given up on falling back asleep and the next thing I knew it was 7am.

This was last night, not this morning, but right idea.
Originally I wrote this in the morning, we were going to the National Women's Hall of Fame and then were heading off to Buffalo.  However...

We decided to scrap the Hall of Fame because the kids just weren't that into it.  We had an easy drive to Buffalo and spent the afternoon catching up with friends.  We went to a yummy lunch, and then later on, a yummy dinner.  I just tucked the extremely exhausted children into bed, and I am not too far behind.

On the docket for tomorrow is Niagara Falls.  I am very excited.  And then later on maybe some stuff along the Erie Canal?  

I'm not going to lie.  I am intermittently wondering what the hell I've gotten us into.  But then I look at the kids being goofy running to the campsite bathroom, or we play a rousing game of Crambo, and I try to have some faith that this will be really really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment